The present Tuskulėnai Manor House in the Classical style was built in 1825 by the Russian Empire Governor General in Vilnius Alexander Rimsky-Korsakov as one of his residences. The Tuskulėnai was started to be formed also by the order of the Governor General. The design author is architect Karol Podczaszinski.
|Tuskulėnai Manor House
In the first half of the 19th century Tuskulėnai is known to belong to Elzhbieta Rogovska, the spouse of the tsar adviser. In the 19th-century plans of Vilnius, the Tuskulėnai Manor was referred to as the city property. Most probably, it came to belong to the city after E. Rogovska. In the fifth decade of the 19the century, the manor belonged to prominent doctor and public activist Julian Titius, and at the end of the 19th century it again passed into the private of General Melentyev and his family.
In the inter-war period, the Tuskulėnai manor was held by Olga Melentyeva, the General’s widow. In 1940, her property was nationalized. During the first Soviet occupation, the pioneer battalion of the 29th Corps of Lithuanian Riflemen was located in the Tuskulėnai manor. In 1944, the whole homestead of the Tuskulėnai manor with structures, 1.3 ha in area, was possessed by LSSR NKVD−MVD. In 1949, the manor palace and a storage house (officina) were transferred to DOSAAF (Soviet Voluntary Society for Assistance to the Army, Air Force and Navy).The territory and its supervision, however, was within the view of Soviet security.