Lithuanian freedom fights
The declaration of Feb. 16, 1949 by the Council of LLKS
On Feb. 10–20, 1949, the gathering of all the main leaders of the armed anti-Soviet resistance movement of Lithuania took place in the headquarters of the Prisikėlimas (Resurrection, in Lithuanian) partisan military district, i.e. in the bunker, which was based in the Stasys Miknius-owned farmstead’s barn. They established the Movement of the Struggle for Freedom of Lithuania (commonly referred to by its Lithuanian acronym, LLKS). They signed the declaration of Feb. 16, 1949 stating that the re-establishment of the independent state of Lithuania is the movement’s final goal.
The memorial in the place of the signing of the LLKS Council’s declaration
It became possible to commemorate the Radviliškis region’s Minaičiai village-located place (the farmstead of Julijona Mikniūtė-Petrėtienė, who inherited it from her farther, Stasys Miknius) of the signing of the LLKS Council’s declaration of Feb. 16, 1949 after the re-establishment of the independent state of Lithuania.
MSFL organizational structure in 1949-1950
On June 15, 1940, after the Red Army (the army of the USSR) invaded Lithuania; the USSR occupied and annexed Lithuania. The almost 50-year long Soviet occupation period began. During mass repression, thousands of Lithuanian citizens were killed or imprisoned, or deported to Siberia and other remote areas of the USSR. The resistance to the Soviet occupational regime that started in the fall of 1940 turned into the uprising on June 22, 1941. Meanwhile, the tragedy of the Lithuania’s Jewish population – the Holocaust – began due to the invasion of Nazi Germany. In July 1944, the second Soviet occupation of Lithuania started. Thousands of patriots of Lithuania continued the fight to the death for the reestablishment of the Lithuania’s statehood. The large-scale anti-Soviet partisan war got started.
The partisan military districts of the Lithuanian freedom fighters
The Lithuanian nation, without any support from the West, managed to fight its guerilla war against the Soviet invaders for a decade. The partisan movement’s military structure covering the whole of Lithuania was formed from spontaneously formed partisan squads. In 1944–1949, the following partisan military districts were created: Algimantas, Dainava, Didžioji Kova, Kęstutis, Prisikėlimas, Tauras, Vytis, Vytautas, and Žemaičiai. They constituted the three larger partisan military regions of Jūra, Nemunas and Kalnai.