2020 m. October 23
Search
Didžioji str. 17/1, LT-01128 Vilnius, Tel. +370 5 231 4139, Fax. +370 5 279 1033, e-mail centras@genocid.lt
Printable version
The memorial in the place of the signing of the LLKS Council’s declaration
It became possible to commemorate the Radviliškis region’s Minaičiai village-located place (the farmstead of Julijona Mikniūtė-Petrėtienė, who inherited it from her farther, Stasys Miknius) of the signing of the LLKS Council’s declaration of Feb. 16, 1949 after the re-establishment of the independent state of Lithuania. The Genocide and Resistance Research Center of Lithuania (the Lithuanian acronym LGGRTC) played an extremely important role in this work, i.e. the reconstruction of the partisans’ bunker (a small museum now) and the erection of the monument near the bunker. The LGGRTC is happy to give a helping hand to this museum (as well as many other museums of this type).

On Nov. 22, 2010, Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaitė and Defense Minister Rasa Juknevičienė went to the northern Lithuania’s village of Minaičiai to open a museum established in the anti-Soviet guerilla hideout which, in 1949, was based under a farmstead’s barn, and a nearby monument to those guerilla movement leaders who announced the declaration of Feb. 16, 1949, in that hideout.
“The Council of the Movement of the Struggle for Freedom of Lithuania shall be the supreme political body of the nation during the occupation period. The governing of Lithuania shall be exercised by the parliament elected through free, democratic, general, and equal elections by secret ballot,” reads the declaration of Feb. 16, 1949. According to the declaration, the Communist Party should be proclaimed criminal and illegal while Soviet and Nazi collaborators should be tried for their atrocities.
“It is symbolic that eight leaders of the guerilla movement announced their declaration one-and-a-half months before the establishment of NATO. The ideals of both acts were the same,” Juknevičienė said during the opening ceremony, which was also attended by people from Latvia, which is not far from the Radviliškis district – Lithuanian and Latvian flags were waving in the crowd of a couple of hundred people.

There are are some original items, which were found during the archaeological excavations there, presented in the exhibition in Minaičiai as well as many photos of the anti-Soviet guerilla warfare era and some reconstructed items. The anti-Soviet guerilla hideout is open to visitors. The exhibition’s texts are bilingual: in Lithuanian and English.
 
 
 

© Lietuvos gyventojų genocido ir rezistencijos tyrimo centras.
Created by: „Teratekas”